Poetry Day Ireland is a major one-day festival of Irish poets and poetry at home and abroad. In 2017 we'll be celebrating Poetry Day Ireland on Thursday 27 April and our theme for 2017 is "Poetry Connects".
Poetry Day Ireland includes flagship live literature events and educational activities programmed by Poetry Ireland, alongside a support network of promotional tools and resources for organisations and individuals who wish to produce their own events or get involved in other ways. Almost 100 poetry-related events took place on Poetry Day Ireland last year, in libraries, bookshops, arts centres, schools, hotels, night clubs, bars, cafes and street corners from Kerry to Derry. We need your help to make it even bigger and better in 2017.
This year's theme: Poetry Connects
Poetry has the power to connect. Words matter: they can build bridges or burn them down. Poetry’s “delicate dance between the said and the unsaid”* has the power to connect friends, lovers and family. It has the power to help us look inward and understand ourselves, and the power to transport us across borders and through frontiers. It connects us with our memories and springboards us to our future. We need the power of words now more than ever.
As always, our Poetry Day Ireland theme is intended as a starting point. Organisers and collaborators are welcome to embrace the theme, ignore the theme, or make it their own!
Want to join in?
There are many ways to join in, and here are just a few:
- Check out our programming resources and organise a poetry reading, open mic or slam in your venue, library, workplace, bookshop or school (coming soon)
- If you're thinking of organising an event, please Register your Interest now and we'll be in touch soon.
- If you want to register an event you've planned, fill in our registration form and we'll share it online and in our printed brochure. If you'd like to include your event in the printed brochure, please send us confirmed details of your event by 13 March.
- Find a poet near you in our database of poets by county.
- If you're a poet and you'd like to add your details to our Poets' Database please sign up now.
- Hold a poetry coffee morning or choose poetry for your book club
- Visit our What's On page and attend a Poetry Day event near you (coming soon)
- Share poetry you love by taking part in our Pocket Poems campaign
- Request and display free Poetry Day Ireland posters and brochures to help promote your event
- Use our lesson plans to bring poetry into your classroom (coming soon)
- Bookshops and libraries can request a special Bookshop and Library Display Pack which includes A2 posters, bespoke Poetry Day Ireland display cards for highlighting and reviewing "staff poetry picks", Pocket Poems cards and Brochures
- Share a poem on your email footer
- Use chalk to write out your favourite lines of poems on the street!
- Organise a postcard poetry exhange with another writer's group of school.
- Help us to flood Twitter and Facebook with poetry on 27 April 2017 with the hashtag #PoetryDayIRL
- Follow poetry events taking place around the country at @PoetryIreland and tweet about your own using #PoetryDayIRL