Literary Criteria for Elegibility
Writers applying to become members of the Writers in Schools Directory should meet the following literary criteria:
Fiction / children’s writers / poets:
Writer should have at least one book published by a reputable publisher or a publisher funded by the Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon or the Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
Indicative Guidelines for commercial publisher:
- Publishes no less than 5 books of that genre annually or less if they are an imprint.
- Has national distribution.
- Does not charge writer for publication.
- Book of no less than 48 pages.
- Poems / stories published in at least 6 reputable journals / periodicals.
Indicative Guidelines for reputable journals/ periodicals:
Irish: Poetry Ireland Review, Cyphers, The Stinging Fly, Dublin Review
International: Agenda, Poetry Review, Stand, Poetry Wales, Poetry London, TLS, PN Review. (This is merely a list of indicative samples)
- A journal or periodical which is sold and circulated nationally or internationally eg:
- A journal or periodical which has been published with the financial assistance of The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon, The Arts Council of Northern Ireland or a comparable international, national or regional funding agency.
- An anthology which is published by a nationally or internationally recognised publishing house or university press.
- A published anthology which is edited by a writer-in-residence appointed by a third-level institution, arts centre, or local/regional authority.
- An online journal which regularly includes new work by established writers.
- A nationally broadcast programme which regularly includes new writing
Must have had a work staged by a reputable theatre company or a company funded by the Arts Council
Must supply details of work to date, and any books / CDs
Should submit a list of screenplays produced.