- Dramatist, Storyteller, Writer
- Reading and Q&A, Creative Writing Workshop, Storytelling Session, Master Class
- Age Group
- 5 - 6, 7 - 10, 11-15, 16 - 18
- Primary, Post Primary
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Publications/Repertoire/Productions & Background Experience
Órla is a Storyteller, Writer, Performer and Facilitator living in Galway. She is an award-winning storyteller and has told at the Cape Clear Festival, Yarn Festival at Mermaid Arts World Storytelling Café, Electric Picnic, Artists House Cobh, and numerous others. She is the artistic director of ‘Moth & Butterfly’ a storytelling and improvisation collective based in the West.
Her plays have been produced in Ireland and the US and produced at: First Irish Festival, New York, Key City Theatre, Washington, Fregoli Theatre, Galway (Cúirt at Mick Lally Theatre), Red Barn Thomastown, Martello Media/Alive-O (for Guinness storehouse), The Abbey Theatre, Dublin, Farmleigh Dublin, Brigit’s Garden Galway, and more. She has written several short films, produced in Ireland.
She has written two books of folk tales (interpreted and original) Dublin Folk Tales for Children and Wild Waves & Wishing Wells (The History Press).
She works as an actor for TV Radio and Film and appeared at many theatres in Ireland, Europe and the USA. She is a master level teacher of improvisational theatre, and regularly teaches performs in festivals around the world.
‘G’wan Oura Dat’ from Dublin Folk Tales for Children
Storytellers of Ireland profile:
I have extensive experience in creating a variety of bespoke workshop content, to suit different groups, schools, etc. so I am very happy to work with you for what suits your group or school.
A session might look like:
- A reading/telling from Dublin Folk Tales For Children & Wild Waves & Wishing Wells followed by a Q & A. on the stories and how I came to write them
- Crafting The Story – a storytelling workshop with tips and hacks of to create your own story.
- A traditional or themed storytelling set, followed by Q & A on stories and topics.
- A character workshop, working on a dramatic monologue or story.
- An improvisational theatre workshop, using play to generate discussion on the topics we explore.
- A residency over a longer period, working on writing a short play, a community story etc.
- A bespoke workshop for your school, incorporating a combination of topics you wish to explore
I can offer suggestions based on experience as to what would best suit your needs, age group, numbers etc. I am mindful that some sessions work best with smaller numbers, some with larger.
Age Group Details
My two folk tales books are listed ages 7-11 (for reading/telling and Q and A, younger than that) but depending on topic and category of workshop, all ages.
Freelance working artist. Please contact me to check and secure availability. I am open to all projects; from short one-off sessions to longer programmes
- 086 8865507