Plan an Event
If you're planning to organise an event on Poetry Day Ireland, we've put together some hints and tips to help get you started.
Wondering where to begin? Well here are some ideas to help get the creative juices flowing:
- Organise a classic poetry reading to share work to an appreciative audience
- Organise a Poetry Slam and get established, inviting emerging and novice spoken word/slam artists
- Host an open mic night for poets, writers, and musicians
We'll do our best to help get you started with your online or in person event with some helpful tips - see Get in Touch below.
How to promote your event
Make sure people know about your event! Spend time thinking about how you'll use your network of contacts to promote it. There is a number ways to do this, see below:
- » Register your event with us as soon as possible so that we can list it on our What's On page and promote it through our various media channels.
- Think about how to best describe your event. Distill this into a Twitter length sentence and a 100 word description. Make it exciting, thrilling, engaging, or even, humorous. Whatever works. Ask yourself 'why would someone want to go to this event?'
- Images speak louder than words. Be sure to have a strong image to represent your event, keep in mind that poetryireland.ie requires images that are 616 x 400 pixels. We're happy to resize your images for you, but they need to be large enough and of a high resolution, preferably with no text. Submit to email@example.com.
- » Download the Poetry Day Ireland logo to use when promoting your event.
- » Download the Poetry Day Ireland poster to use when promoting your event - coming soon!
- A Facebook event page is a great way to get free publicity. There are so many free events listing sites online to avail of such as www.visitdublin.com, www.discoverireland.ie, www.writing.ie and www.enjoyireland.ie.
- Get in touch with your local paper and see if they will cover your event. Arts organisation have fantastic resources to promote local events in the area.
Poetry Ireland is running a marketing, advertising and PR campaign to connect poetry and people on Poetry Day Ireland. We will promote events across the country and around the world on our website, as well as issue national and regional press releases for Poetry Day Ireland.
Register your event
Event registration can be found here.