Belmullet (Béal an Mhuirthead) is a coastal Gaeltacht town in the north west of Co. Mayo. It was founded in 1825 by William Henry Carter.
The town is located at the mouth of the mullet peninsula where the two bays Blacksod and Broadhaven are joined by a canal.
Béal an Mhuirthead is one of the most westerly towns in Ireland – a Wild Atlantic Way town. The landscape and seascape have a major influence on the town’s identity both in terms of its isolation from the rest of the county and country. Belmullet has a population of 1,200; it is the commercial, educational and cultural heart of the barony of Erris. The barony has a population of circa 9,000.