Cootehill in Co. Cavan, formally established as a market town in 1725, was synonymous with the linen industry which attracted skilled weavers and flax spinners to the area.
The linen industry was responsible for a workforce of diverse religions settling in Cootehill and by the end of the 18th century, there were seven different houses of worship in the town.
Muinchille, the Irish name, means ridge or sleeve and the town is set among the distinctive rolling drumlins that define the surrounding hinterland.
The English name is derived from the marriage of two landowning families, the Cootes and the Hills. The Cootes, keen enthusiasts of the linen industry, were also known as the Earls of Bellamont and built Ballamont House in 1725. The town is home to the Cootehill Arts Festival, The Gerry Whelan Weekend and has hosted the Ulster Fleadh.