An upcoming children's poetry anthology on the performing arts is looking for original, unpublished poems (in all forms), written in English and aimed at 8 to 12-year-olds.
They are seeking poems that deal with topics such as (but not limited to):
• drama/theatre (ie. acting, playwriting, production); types of theatre (ie. deaf theatre, Kabuki); and different acting medium (ie. television, film, theatre)
• stories told in musical forms (ie. operas, musicals, symphonic fairy tales, ballet); musical theatre legends (ie. Stephen Sondheim, Rita Moreno, Audra McDonald)
• famous and not-so famous performing arts figures, past/present, young/old (ie. Kiri Te Kanawa, Oscar Peterson, Itzhak Perlman, Sheku Kanneh-Mason)
• circus arts (ie. juggling, contortion, clowning/miming, aerial silks, etc.)
• performing arts careers (ie. set design, costume design, make up artistry)
• dance (including choreography) and types of dance (ie. tap, hip hop, etc.)
• famous works (ie. Brundibar, Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals)
• instruments and their families (ie. woodwind, brass, percussion, and string)
• puppetry (ie. shadow puppetry, black light puppetry)
• vocal music (ie. choirs, beatboxing) / aspects of singing (ie. voice types) instrumental music (ie. orchestras); types of music (ie. jazz, classical, blues)
• general/famous performing arts spaces
Successful poets will be contacted between early December 2019 and early January 2020 and will receive a small one-time honorarium.
Please email poems to Carol-Ann Hoyte at firstname.lastname@example.org.