Words Without Borders is pleased to announce a new contest to celebrate the art of translating poetry.
The contest is open to contemporary international poetry translated from other languages into English. Four winning translated poems will be co-published on Words Without Borders, the digital magazine for international literature, and in Poem-a-Day, the popular daily poetry series produced by the Academy of American Poets.
The winning poems will be selected by acclaimed poet, translator, and scholar Mónica de la Torre, along with the editors of Words Without Borders.
The winning poets and translators will be awarded $150 each.
- Entries must be submitted by translators and include both original language texts and translations.
- Only poems translated from languages other than English are eligible.
- Only first English translations will be considered. Retranslations of poems already available in English are not eligible.
- Translations must be unpublished.
- Translations must not be under contract for publication.
- Authors of original poems must be living.
- Translators must have confirmed that English translation rights are available.
- Translators may submit up to three poems.
- Individual poems must not exceed forty lines.
- Submissions must include brief bios for authors and translators.
Deadline: June 28, 2019.