Guidelines for Submission to Poetry Ireland Review
Poetry Ireland Review is published three times annually. We welcome unsolicited submissions of poems, and proposals for articles and reviews, from Ireland and abroad, in Irish or English. We actively encourage submissions from women and people from diverse ethnic backgrounds, who are currently under-represented in the submissions we receive throughout the year. All submissions are read by the editor, but due to the huge (and welcome!) volume of submissions, we cannot offer any individual criticism. We accept postal submissions, although our preferred means of submission is online through our Submittable form.
Online submissions can be made through our submittable page. To view the guidelines on how to submit online, please click the link below.
- Send a maximum of six poems (no more than ten pages).
- Keep a hard copy / digital copy of each submission.
- Poems should be original, and previously unpublished.
- Poems should be typed / printed, single-sided, with a cover note containing contact details and publication credits, if any. (Previous publication credits are not necessary to be considered for publication in Poetry Ireland Review).
- Submissions should not be stapled or bound in any way, including the use of paperclips.
- If a poem continues over more than one page, clearly indicate stanza breaks between pages.
- Include an email address with your posted submission if you only need notification of the editor’s decision and don’t need your work returned.
- If you don't have email, include a stamped self-addressed envelope with your posted submission, and indicate whether you'd like your work returned or only need notification of the Editor's decision.
- Poets are welcome to submit their work to multiple outlets but please let us know as soon as poem is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Please send one submission at a time. If you have not received a response on a submission currently under review, please do not send a second one.
All postal submissions should be addressed to the Editor, currently Colette Bryce, and mailed to this address:
Poetry Ireland Review,
11 Parnell Square East
Poets whose work is accepted for publication will receive a copy of the issue in which their work appears plus a payment for their contribution, which is currently €40 or a year's subscription to the review. Copyright for published work remains at all times with the author. Please note that poems published in PIR will also be added to our online archive of back issues.
Articles and Reviews
Articles and reviews are normally commissioned by the Editor; we will, however, consider proposals for both. Reviewers and article writers receive a copy of the journal plus payment. The payment for an article or a review is currently a minimum of €100, plus a copy of the journal. Copyright for published work remains at all times with the author. Please note that work published in PIR will also be added to our online archive of back issues.